The Company of Proprietors
of the Stroudwater Navigation






Pictures - under construction



Picture set 1 - Framilode to Saul Junction.

This length of canal was effectively bypassed when the Gloucester & Berkeley Canal opened in 1827. However, it continued to provide an important link to the Bullo Pill Dock which was a major outlet on the opposite side of the River Severn for Forest of Dean Coal. It is thought to have last been used in about 1936.
Stroudwater Canal - Framilode


Picture set 2 - Saul Area

At Saul, a crossroads was made between the Gloucester & Berkeley Canal and the older Stroudwater Navigation. A series of gates, combined with Junction Lock, enabled either canal to operate with any part of the other empty.
Saul Junction


Picture set 3 - Whitminster Area

This length covers from Whitminster Lock, which is about 1 Km east of Saul Junction, to the A38 where the canal was destroyed by road schemes in about 1969.

Whitminster Lock


Picture set 4 - Eastington Area

The M5 intercepts the route of the canal before the canal reappears at Westfield Lock, the lowest of 5 locks in the Eastington Flight. The other 4 locks have had extensive restoration work carried out to them and the top two are operational. Pike bridge was rebuilt in 2005, the original having been destroyed when the M5 was built as part of road improvements.
Trip boat at Eastington - Stroudwater Navigation
 

Picture set 5 - Bonds Mill

The canal continues eastwards via Bonds Mill where the world's first plastic road bridge was installed in 1994 to replace a fixed swing bridge before passing along the top of a high embankment. The missing railway bridge at the end of this length is probably the most expensive obstruction to rectify on the Stroudwater Navigation. The section east of this railway is know as Phase 1A and is currently being restored to full navigation.
Bonds Mill lift bridge - Stroudwater Navigation


Picture set 6 - Stonehouse Area

This length has some of the most scenic and well known views to be found along the canal. It starts with a wide area of water known as the ocean and follows the long pound that leads to Ryeford Double Lock. The whole section has remained in water throughout.

St Cyr's Church - Stroudwater Navigation

Picture set 7 - Ryeford

The canal passes from Stonehouse to Ryeford before reaching Ryeford Double Lock, the only double lock on the Stroudwater Navigation. Above the lock, the canal was left dry after a substantial length was infilled around Ebley.

Ryeford Swing Bridge - Stroudwater Navigation


Picture set 8 - Ebley


It is in this area that some of the greatest changes have taken place to the canal in recent years. Bridges have been rebuilt and long infilled lengths re-excavated.


Ebley New bridge - Sroudwater Navigation


Picture set 9 - Dudbridge

The canal in this area was converted into a flood relief channel with the water level much reduced. Restoring the water level whilst also preventing flooding is one of the challenges facing this part of the canal.


Dudbridge Lower Lock - Stroudwater Navigation


Picture set 10 - Stroud

The canal continues to Stroud passing two more fixed former swing bridges. The terminal basin at Wallbridge has been filled in and is now a yard. The former headquarters building of the Canal Company survives but is no longer in their ownership. The Thames & Severn canal leaves the Stroudwater on the north side.

CoPSN HQ Building - Stroudwater Navigation




More pictures and information can be found at:
www.cotswoldcanals.com
www.cotswoldcanalsproject.org
http://www.cotswoldcanals.net/
http://www.junctionheritage.org.uk/



Home   | About Us  | Heritage | Events  | Pictures   | Boat Registration Scheme  | Guides | Contacts | Links



This document is maintained by ken.burgin@pikelock.com .
Copyright 2010 Company of Proprietors of the Stroudwater Navigation; all other rights reserved